The Business Case 1
This training session looks at the size of the market for attracting disabled guests and their carers, partners and/or family members. The market is huge and must be one worth attracting to your business.
Equipment required – PC, tablet, or phone, flip chart and pen to write up answers
Number of people involved – Up to 12 people
Suitable for – All members of staff
Time required – 10 minutes
Time required online – 2 minutes
Instruction – Show video clip and repeat the question – How many of these people will have a disability in the UK?
Write up all answers to the questions below, put on flip chart and discuss.
Answer – 11 million
Question – How many carers are there in the UK?
Answer – 6 million
Question – How many people are there in the UK?
Answer – About 68 million. This represents 25% of the country’s population so it is a very important market to this hotel.
Question – What type of disabilities are there?
Put answers into the four groups.
Answer – They are categorised in four groups:
- People with a mobility impairment such as arthritis, loss of a limb, in a wheelchair.
- Deaf or deafened people.
- Vision impaired people.
- The fourth group is often called other. This includes those with a mental illness, dyslexia, cancer, HIV, cystic fibrosis, multiple sclerosis.
Question – How many disabled people are there in Europe and America?
Answer – Over 150 million
Question – How much do you think this business is worth in England alone?
Answer - VisitEngland has estimated it at over £2 billion.
Question – What can we do to improve customer service for people with disabilities?
Answer – The answers include:
- Greater awareness of people with disabilities.
- Knowing how to recognise them.
- Having the confidence to talk to them as you would any other guest.
- Knowing how to help them in the event of fire.
- Having accessible champions in each department. These are people that identify any issues that can be improved for disabled guests.
- Training all staff to know about all of the above.
Explain – This is the first training module in a new online package that will help you look after our disabled guests and ensure they have a great time and want to come back again and tell their family and friends.
You can also view the video on a plain template suitable for use in a chat at http://www.accesschamp.co.uk/chat/30